I came across Daal Khichadi in menu cards of the restaurants in Pune. Khichadi is favourite comfort food but Daal Khichadi sounded different. I tried it once and then ordered it over and over again whenver I went to restaurants in Kothrud or JM road. Its really a delicious comfort food. It resembles to the karnataka's Bisibelle bhat but its not that spicy.
1 cup cooked Toovar dal (split pigeon peas)
1/2 cup curd
2 cups steamed rice
1 medium sized onion finely chopped
2 cloved of garlic chopped
2 red/green chillies cut into big chunks
2 medium sized tomatoes diced
2 tablespoon Ghee
1/2 teaspoon of mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
3-4 Whole Black peppers
Few curry leaves
1/2 teaspoon corriander powder
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
Salt to taste
Daal should be boiled with little oil and turmeric, till mushy and form a thick paste.
1. Heat ghee in a pan. Add fenugreek seeds, mustard and cumin seeds. Let them crackle.
2. Add peppers, onions, garlic, chillies and curry leaves. Saute till onions turn light brown.
3. Add tomatoes. Cook till tomatoes are tender.
4. Add corriander powder, garam masala and salt. Saute well.
5. Now add curd and lower the heat. Cook for 2 min.
6. Add cooked daal. Mix well to incorporate curd and daal together.
7. Add 2 cup of water to loosen the mixture. Bring it to boil.
8. Now add steamed rice and cook covered on low flame for 10 min.
Serve with some potato chips and little butter on top of the Daal Khichadi.